Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My First Attempt at Pottery

Well, I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after spending my Thanksgiving weekend in Lancaster, PA. On Friday my boyfriend Durelle and I went to his friend Phil Kreider's studio to make some pottery. We had a lot of fun, but I found out it's a lot harder than it looks!

Here is one of my favorite pieces of Phil's:















Looks easy enough, right? Okay, maybe not.

First, I had to pound the clay to get the air bubbles out.




















Next came forming a cone-shape with the clay... took me a while to remember my form.















Receiving some wisdom and guidance from the master:


















Almost finished with my.... plate? tray? Not quite sure what it was.















Unfortunately, it did not survive, because it was too thin on the bottom :(














Durelle had a little more luck with his... cup?











Luckily, I did have one piece turn out okay... a little candle holder. I tried to make a vase, but that didn't turn out so well. I'm excited to see the finished product. I have to wait for it to dry out, then add a glaze, then fire it in the kiln. Actually, I'm not exactly sure of all the steps, but I guess I will find out when the time is right. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it again some time. It was a lot of fun to create something out of a lump of nothing, watching it take form, even if you aren't even sure what you're making when you start.
















4 comments:

april said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of mud.

Stick with it! It really does get easier and the rewards can be tremendous!!!

Esma said...

Yeah, I definitely want to try it again... I can't wait to finish the candle holder to see how it looks in the end.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I really love pottery, though I haven't thrown a pot in several years. Was this your first try? Because I don't think I got anything redeemable on my first day.

Esma Studios said...

Yup, that was my first try... I was sad that my plate didn't survive, but I'm excited to see how the candle holder turns out.

About Me

My photo
A journal of my creative and business endeavors.